Pammy Blogs Beauty: Rimmel Lash Accelerator: Review





Saturday, November 20, 2010

Rimmel Lash Accelerator: Review



Hello lovelies! Here I am with another review. Hate to say it, cause I do love Rimmel, but this product is only "so-so" or "meh" for me. Don't love it, don't hate it.  So, here is my review for Rimmel Lash Accelerator.

I admit, I was drawn in by the commercials and the print add with Zooey Dechanel and her fab lashes (lucky girl! You know those are natural!). I mean, who wouldn't want to try a mascara that will actually make your lashes healthier and longer! I am sure the technology will be there soon for a good treatment/mascara in one...but, this is not it ya'll. At least not in my experience so far.

Background: I have very thin/sparse mid length blondish lashes. I was not one naturally blessed with thick lush lashes. I look for my mascaras to be both thickening and lengthening as I need both. With my lashes being dark blond...I am never without mascara...otherwise you wouldn't be able to "see" my lashes well. :)

This mascara claims to: "Make lashes appear 117% longer in 30 days". It has "AVEC Grow Lash Complex" (whatever that is!). It also claims to make lashes appear 80% longer instantly.

I tested this product for almost three weeks before reviewing. This is possibly not enough time to for this mascara to live up to its lash-growing claims (the package states 30 days). But, honestly, I didn't want to test it for much longer as this product smudges/smears *way* too much underneath my eyes. I almost gave up on this after a week...but, as the formula dried out a bit, I noticed that it started to wear a bit better and smudge less. Many times it seems as if a mascara hits its "peak", if you will, about mid way through owning it. When the formula has dried out enough to be easier to work with? This may be the case with this mascara.

As far as the smudging, nothing bugs me more than having mascara smear under my eyes after all my best effort to cover my dark under eye circles! When I try to wipe off my smudges...I end up wiping off all that painstakingly applied concealer. Ugh! So, back to the review...



My Thoughts: 

Pros:

  • The wand is nice on this product.
  • The brush separates lashes nicely. But, be careful, too many coats makes your lashes look spidery.
  • After 2 coats I see a nice lengthening effect (not 80% longer, but definitely lengthened)
  • Nice color. I tested the Extreme black...and yes, it is extremely black.
  • You get good separation with the brush. I found no need to go back and comb my lashes. 
  • If you catch this on sale and have a coupon...you can get this for *very* inexpensive. I believe I paid less than $5, but it retails around $9 at my Walgreens. 

Cons:
  • No, I did not notice any increase in lash growth, nor lash thickness. 
  • This mascara did not volumize my lashes. 
  • This formula is VERY wet. It takes a long time to dry and during that time you risk transferring your mascara to your lids or under eye. Give yourself a good few minutes to dry. But, over time the formula dries out to a better consistency (IMHO)
  • This mascara smudge under my eyes throughout the day. This is the kicker for me. I just cant wear mascara that smudges! And, so many brands do this on me. To me, the whole point of carefully applied makeup (including under eye concealer) is all for not when you get mascara smudges and need to wipe those away. 
So, in summary, yes I probably will test this a bit longer...but wanted to get my initial review and impressions posted on my blog here for you readers. So far, this mascara is not really living  up to its claims, but also does not wear well (on me) throughout the day with all the smudging. Even if I did get a mild increase in lash growth, for me, it would not be worth it with the smudging during wear. While Rimmel has some truly great products (like the amazing Smoky Brun shadow quad), this is not one of them. I must admit, I didn't "really" think this product would grow my lashes...so, I am not too let down on that. But, the wearablity factor is just not here with this mascara because of all the smudging.

What do you readers think? Is this product working for any of you out there? Have you tried any other "growth" mascaras? I have already purchased the L'Oreal Lash Serum which I will start testing tonight (yay!)...I just wanted to test the Rimmel mascara first to see if a lash-growing mascara would work.

Thanks for reading! Stay tuned for a L'Oreal Lash Serum review sometime in the future! But, I will likely test that for at least a month before posting a review. I have some high hopes on this one as I do hear that it is effective (crossing all fingers and toes!). In the meantime, for mascara, I am going to stick to my Cover Girl Lash Blast Fusion. :)

XOXO!
Pammy



12 comments:

The Editor said...

Oh, I have this mascara too and absolutely HATE the fact that it dries soooo slowly! if i try to touch up my eyeshadow after applying the mascara i just end up with a gray-looking color on my lids. i do not recommend buying this, really. you can read my review on my blog if you are interested :P

Unknown said...

Totally agreed @birminghamlady!!! This formula dries WAY too slowly! Heading over to your blog to read your review too! :) Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

Shaylee Anne said...

Great review Pammy! I was interested in this Mascara but will definitely be skipping it now! I like more of a volumizing formula so this for sure isn't for me! I have yet to try the Cover Girl Lash Blast Fusion, but I think I should! Does it add good volume?

Unknown said...

Thanks Shaylee! Yah, you are for sure going to want to skip buying this one...no volume *at all*! Yes, I think that the CG Lash Blast Fusion adds good volume, but not necessarily any more volume than the regular lash blast (they are very similar if you have tried the regular one). :) XOXO! P

liquoredonlacquer said...

New blog follower ♥

thanks for the review! Im so glad I didn't buy this the other day!!

Phew! :-)

FunnyFaceBeauty said...

Great review. I didn't know much about this mascara but I definitely won't be trying it out any time soon. I am obsessed with The Buxom Lash Mascara, if you get a chance, I would highly recommend it.

Kim Axani said...

Thanks for this review, Pammy! I can't say I've seen one for it before .. I may just steer a bit clear of it thanks to you. Also thanks for your comment on my blog!
I'm following you =)

Sharon said...

thanks for ur honest review hun,but I think I will be passing..great post

Unknown said...

Hi to my new followers Miss*Kimmy and liquoredonlacur!!! :) Thanks for stopping by! Hi Sher, yes, you might want to pass on this one! Funnyfacebeauty-Thanks for the tip on the Buxom mascara! I was just "eyeing" that brand for the first time at Ulta yesterday! :)

Unknown said...

Hey Pricillia! Yes, I am sure this is another YMMV (your mileage may vary) product...and, I wasnt expecting miracles or anything...but, the smudging, ugh! Glad I saved ya a few dollars! ;)

Unknown said...

Lol am I the only one who likes this mascara?! I have rather short and sparse lashes as well and I feel this mascara lives up to my expectations. Of course you cant expect makeup to work miracles so yes I would say it does what is expected. I also apply my mascara after putting on eyeshadow except I do it with a business card or really thick piece of paper pressed against my top lid to minimize clumping and maximize lengthening... works great!!

Unknown said...

@Justine-I am glad that this mascara works for you. Often, I think that my mascara smudges so much because of my watery eyes (oh the pollen this time of year!). :)



Google Analytics Alternative